Last Updated: 9/3/17
1. It was a perfect day to work on the pond on 8/6/17. the 1800 gallon pond was at 73 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 72 degrees F. I pumped out the Biosteps filter and squirted out the Matala. I squirted all the other pond filters, put in additives, and topped off with water. The watercress in the main waterfall had died back after flowering so I pulled a lot of it out and got the waterfall flowing again. There's a little mini pond of about two gallons half way down, and it was fully clogged with watercress roots and pond slop which I pulled out.
2. I had an hour to start processing some digital photos. I'm backed up to 3/30/16 but instead started with the most recent photos. Here are the pond-related ones.
On 7/17/17, we went to the Maryland zoo. Here are some waterfowl photos.
Black crowned night heron rookery - four adults, two sitting on nests
Black crowned night heron
Little blue heron
3. I had off work on 8/14/17 so I did some stuff with family on Sunday and did the pond chores on Monday, 8/14/17 instead. The 1800 gallon pond was at 74 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 72 degrees F. I squirted off all the filter materials and the bioballs. I put in additives and topped off the ponds. One of the edge bricks around the 153 gallon pond is half way off but I didn't have enough time to try to reset it. Hopefully, I can next Sunday.
4. On 8/20/17, I did some pond work. First, I reset the 153 gallon brick that was falling off. It wasn't as hard to do as I thought. The 1800 gallon pond was at 77 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 76 degrees F. I fertilized the waterlilies in the big pond. Except for half a dozen Chromatella yellow hardy waterlilies, none of the other two hardy and one tropical waterlily have put up any flowers. I think that the shade is now past the point where they will flower as the trees grow taller. I don't want to hurt the trees so I don't get lily flowers.
5. On 8/27/17, the 1800 gallon pond was at 72 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 70 degrees F. I squirted off all the filter materials, and I changed the PondMaster filters. I topped off the ponds and put in additives. The "gardens" are a jungle of weeds and weed grass.
Copyright © 1997-2022 Robyn Rhudy