FTC Disclosure: Fishpondinfo contains affiliate links, and, if you click on such a link and make a purchase, and I meet their minimal requirements, then I will be compensated.

Home Animal Index Fish Index Pond Index Master Index Contact
Pond Newsletter Message
Board Pond Book Calculator
Donate Interactive Fishpondinfo Stores Pond
Showcase Guestbook

Robyn's Pond Blog for April 2018

Last Updated: 4/30/18

1. On 4/1/18, it was Easter but I did pond work in a rush. It was about 50 degrees F with a breeze. The 1800 gallon pond was at 51 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 48 degrees F. I removed the full net from the big pond. I squirted off the filter floss which was very dirty and the bioballs. There was only one little frog in there. I hooked up the auxiliary pump for the waterfall and the Biosteps filter. I changed the filter material for the pump feeding the Biosteps but not the one feeding the waterfall as that would take more time to cut.

The new pond outlet has a cover on the outlets that I knew would not be able to accommodate all four large plugs. I had told the electrician it would be a problem, and he didnít listen. So, they donít fit. I attached a plant pot to the outlet to try to protect it. I e-mailed the electrician who said he would try to find a larger cover. I put up the ropes around the two sides of the pond to deter the deer and herons from getting in.

2. On 4/2/18, I had the day off work to clean the 153 gallon pond. See this page for details. I also cleaned out the back pond. So gross!

3. On 4/8/18, I did pond chores. It was 40 degrees F with winds. The 1800 gallon pond was at 49 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 51 degrees F. I squirted off all the pond filter materials.

4. I had the day off on 4/9/18 to mulch. It was a hellish 40 degrees F with snow showers! This is NOT spring! I spent a few hours hauling out all the yard doohickeys (decorations, statues, etc.). I then pulled the mesh bag from the big pond with the lotus tubers. There was only one viable (firm) tuber about a foot long. I set that up in the lotus pond. Then, I did mulching. My body is getting too old and weak to do it though. I have trouble getting up and down off the ground, can barely roll the bags of mulch in the wheel barrow on its side and then can't turn them once I cut them open, and the exhaustion is much more intense than it used to be. I guess in a few years I'll just have to let everything go to pot. It's most of the way there anyway.

5. The morning of 4/14/18, when I opened the drapes, a great blue heron flew out of my 1800 gallon pond. The goldfish were spawning for the first time this year, and the heron was right there! A few hours later, I went for my morning walk, and I heard what sounded like a duck, no two ducks. I looked up, and there were two great blue herons! Ahh!! The heron would be back the next morning as well.

6. I did pond chores on 4/15/18. The air temperature was nasty at 48 degrees F at 10 am and never went up. It was overcast and drizzly. It had been 85 degrees F the day before! The 1800 gallon pond was at 62 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 58 degrees F. I squirted all the filter materials. I moved the two golden club plants up to the shallow marginal area and one of the pickerel rush (I could not find others).

7. I had four chicks hatch on 4/20/18 and 4/21/18. For more information, see this page.

8. On 4/22/18, I did the usual pond chores. The air temperature was finally nice at 65 degrees F! The 1800 gallon pond was at 58 degrees F and so was the 153 gallon pond. I topped off all the ponds, put in additives, changed the main filter floss, and squirted all the other filter materials. I changed the Ammocarb and oyster shell in the 1800 gallon filter.

9. On 4/29/18, the air temperature was 50 degrees F, and the winds were strong and horrible. Both thermometers in the 1800 and 153 gallon pond read 56 degrees F. I topped off all the ponds, squirted all the filter materials, and put in additives. I squirted off the bioballs. I then removed two waterliles and repotted them. I know for sure one was the Chromatella yellow hardy waterlily. I think the other was a replacement Comanche changeable hardy waterlily but I have honestly lost track of what is where. The lilies pretty much never bloom anymore, probably due to lack of sun. I put two floating waterlily protectors on those repotted lilies to keep the fish off, although they usually end up stuck inside.

Continue to the May 2018 pond blog.

Pond Blog Directory

Like Fishpondinfo
on Facebook Follow Fishpondinfo on

E-mail Robyn

Copyright © 1997-2023 Robyn Rhudy

Follow Fishpondinfo on
You Tube Follow Fishpondinfo on Instagram