Last Updated: 12/29/14
1. I did some pond chores on 12/7/14. The 1800 gallon pond was at 43 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 44 degrees F. I squirted off the filter floss material.
2. On 12/14/14, I topped off the ponds and racked some leaves from around the 1800 gallon pond. I still have not pulled the net back off the waterfall but there is no risk of ice or snow in the next week so I didn't have to do that yet. The 1800 gallon pond was at 42 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 41 degrees F.
3. On 12/21/14, I first pulled the net back off the waterfall in the big pond. I couldn't really get up all the leaves in the area but the net has to go back before ice and snow although none is forecast. The 1800 gallon was at 41 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 40 degrees F. I squirted the filter floss. I changed the oyster shell. I found a rectangular piece of Pennsylvania fieldstone to put above the main spill rock of the waterfall as all the rocks there strangely fell to tiny bits! Most of the water was going behind the waterfall. It looks much better now.
4. I rarely post anything but updates on my animals on my web site these days as my web site is like a parched desert as far as interest goes these days. I do have one exciting thing to report though. A mystery on the bottom of my insect page has been solved. The ring of eggs is most likely from a caddisfly. Check out Ask a Naturalist's Blog for details on how someone figured it out.
5. On 12/28/14, I did just a touch of pond chores. The 1800 gallon pond was at 45 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 47 degrees F. The air temperature was a nice 50 degrees F or so. I did not get in the pond. I topped off the ponds and put in a few additives and picked up a few leaves. That's about it.
Copyright © 1997-2020 Robyn Rhudy