Last Updated: 11/5/18
1. On 10/7/18, I did the usual pond chores. The air temperature was 74 degrees F when I started around 10:30 am but it would go up to 80 degrees F later in the day! And, it was 100% humidity so it sure didn't fell like fall! The 1800 gallon pond was at 74 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 70 degrees F. I squirted off all the filter materials, added water and additives, and shook the net to remove a lot of the leaves. The leaves are just starting to really fall. I put fertilizer in the two surviving waterlilies, the tropical yellow Chromatella which gave me a few flowers this year and the tropical waterlily which gave me no flowers but it has tons of leaves.
2. I did pond work on 10/14/18. It had rained so everything was wet. Both thermometers in the 1800 and 153 gallon ponds read 58 degrees F. I removed the auxiliary pump for the winter. I squirted all the filter materials and put additives in the ponds.
3. It was a busy day at the pond on 10/21/18. The air temperature was 48 degrees F which I would not have minded so much if the winds were not horrid! The 1800 gallon pond was at 54 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 56 degrees F. I removed the Biosteps filter for the winter. I changed the PondMaster filters in the brick pond (the 153 gallon pond) and the filter floss around the main pump (and only one left) in the big pond. I squirted out the bioballs and changed the Ammocarb and the oyster shell in mesh bags in the main filter. I added water and additives including Microbe-Lift Autumn Prep. I removed leaves from the nets. There was one tropical pond plant outside (aside from the tropical waterlily) what was in the lotus tub pond. I potted that barely-alive spider lily in to a two gallon pot and brought it indoors.
4. Yep, pond work on 10/28/18 but I did not get in the pond. I am now going to getting in the pond every two weeks. The 1800 gallon pond was at 52 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 53 degrees F. It had just rained so I didn't need to top off ponds but did put in additives. I gathered all the doohickeys around the ponds and put them on the back porch as I don't have time to wash, dry (in the bathtub), and put them up. I will bring in a few each day. I drug the lotus tub pond down the hill and dumped it. I removed some water hyacinth. There are a few more. I have to get in to reach them.
Copyright © 1997-2020 Robyn Rhudy