Last Updated: 7/7/13
1. On 6/6/13, I did the pond chores. The 1800 gallon was at 70 degrees F (and the thermometer was hard to read even though it's new), and the 153 gallon was at 68 degrees F (again after I put in water as I forgot). I put additives in the ponds, topped them off, and squirted all the filter materials. I changed the PondMaster filters. I squirted out the Cyprio biothings in the kiddie pool.
2. On 6/11/13, I did pond chores. The 1800 gallon pond's thermometer seems to say 80 degrees F but it's broken. The 153 gallon pond was at 72 degrees F.
3. On 6/16/13, I did the pond chores again despite being pretty ill with a virus because I finally got a job (part time but full time hours) and have to get chores back on a weekend-only schedule. The thermometer in the 1800 gallon pond was definitely broken so I threw it away and put the old one back in. The 153 gallon pond was at 70 degrees F. I squirted all the flosses and the bioballs. The pump in the 50 gallon tub pond is broken, just like its many predecessors so I give up on that. I unplugged it but was too tired to haul it in yet.
4. The morning of 6/23/13, the great blue heron flew out of my 1800 gallon pond in the morning. I didn't see the fish spawning but I could smell it when I went to feed them. It makes a very distinct smell.
5. On 6/23/13, I did the pond chores. The 1800 gallon pond was at 72 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 74 degrees F. I added water and additives and squirted all the flosses. I removed the pump from the 50 gallon pond that doesn't work anymore. I fertilized the pond lilies and lotuses as best as I could and not much more. The lizard tail and pickerel rush are in bloom now.
6. The morning of 6/30/13, I found a big goldfish laying by the side of the pond! She was bleeding and had a few puncture holes in her. Roe (eggs) lay next to her body. Thanks heron! I put her right in the pond and moved her around trying to find some sign of life. I saw none but left her there until the afternoon when I went to do the pond chores. She was still lifeless at that time so I removed her. She probably could have survived the injuries but had been out of the water for too long. She was a beautiful 9.5" long, all orange, common goldfish.
7. I did pond chores on 6/30/13. The 1800 gallon pond was at 78 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 74 degrees F. I topped off the ponds and put in additives. I squirted all the filter materials. I changed the PondMaster filters. The tropical waterlily now has a few small leaves at the surface. I did a 100% water change and scrubbing on the mosaic pond. It was just too dirty from the raccoons. The main Empress lotus in the 7 gallon pot in the 1800 gallon pond is 100% dead but the tubers in the 12 gallon Lerio tub pond are doing well with aerial leaves. I cut down the yellow flag iris in the overflow (for nutrient removal, space, and to reduce root damage over the liner) which I do a few times a year. These were iris that sprouted over the liner from seed.
Wind & Weather sells neat things for your garden!
Copyright © 1997-2019 Robyn Rhudy