Last Updated: 5/5/20
1. On 4/5/20, at 10:30 am, the air temperature ws 58 degrees F. The 1800 gallon pond was at 55 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 54 degrees F. I removed leaves, added water and additives, and squirted off all the filter materials. They were full of thick black mulm from the fish spawning. I found two small bales of barley straw and put one each in the 153 and 1800 gallon ponds. I found a dead 2" pickerel frog in the 1800 gallon's waterfall pool area.
I removed one of the five gallon waterlily pots that was half empty with no lilies in sight. I think all of my waterlilies have died due to lack of sun and the fish rooting in them. I am very sad about this but have not had the time, strength, or inclination to try to buy and pot up new ones because they will suffer the same fate.
2. Well 4/12/20 was Easter but Easter was cancelled this year due to the coronavirus. So, I worked outside all day and did zero for Easter. At 12:50 pm, the air temperature was 64 degrees F. The 1800 gallon pond was at 54 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 53 degrees F. I topped off all the ponds and put in additives. I squirted off all the filter materials. They were all heavy with sludge in the 1800 gallon pond, really, really heavy! Like there was an inch of brown slop stuck to all surfaces! I removed two empty one gallon pots. I have no idea which plants were in there but most of the pond plants have died off. I need to order more. I removed three dead pickerel frogs. All had been dead for a while (can you say gross?). Two were small, one or two inches long while one was a big three inch adult.
3. The air temperature was a nice 62 degrees F at 1:15 pm on 4/19/20. Both thermometers in the 1800 and 153 gallon ponds read 55 degrees F. I squirted all the filter materials, put in additives, and topped off with water. The raccoons had ripped some of the iris out of the pots in the 153 gallon pond so I stuffed them back in and added some more pea gravel. There was an injured goldfish in with the filter floss around the main pump in the big pond. I do not know if he/she was hurt from spawning, getting stuck somewhere, or a predator.
4. The weather was not very good on 4/26/20 so I did not do half the pond work that I was supposed to do. The air temperature was 52 degrees F, and it was raining off an on. The 1800 gallon pond was at 56 degrees F, and the 153 gallon pond was at 55 degrees F. I changed the PondMaster filters. I squirted out the Biosteps matala. I squirted all the other filters, added additives, and did not need to top off any ponds with water due to the rain. I was supposed to change the main filter floss, squirt out the bioballs, change the Ammocarb, and change the carbon but I did not have the time nor the mental or physical strength to endure that in the cold rain so I failed.
Copyright © 1997-2020 Robyn Rhudy